These Air Fryer Banana Peppers are an easy recipe made with only 3 ingredients and make the perfect appetizer, pizza topping, or salad topping.
They’re tossed in a pepper and garlic flour mixture and then air fried until crispy and brown.
Air Fryer Banana Peppers Recipe
This is one of my all-time favorite banana pepper recipes because it uses 3 simple ingredients and can be ready in less than 20 minutes.
You can enjoy this air fryer recipe as a side dish or a healthy snack. It’s the perfect appetizer for game day!
If you’re looking for a milder version of this recipe, mini bell peppers have 0 Scoville heat units, whereas banana peppers have 500 Scoville heat units. Jalapeño peppers have 2,500-8,000, so there is a large difference in spice, but it’s up to your personal preference!
What do I need to make banana peppers in the air fryer?
All-Purpose Flour: this is the main ingredient in our fried banana pepper coating. The flour sticks to your sliced banana peppers to give it the golden and crispy texture that we’re going for.
Garlic Powder: brings a subtle pungent and savory flavor to your banana pepper rings. For this recipe, I don’t recommend using minced garlic or garlic cloves, as it will not give the correct texture and the garlic will likely burn.
Fresh Banana Peppers: your tangy banana pepper rings will need to be cut into thin slices with their seeds removed. You can also use sweet peppers or mini peppers as a substitute since they have the same mild flavor.
How to Make Air Fryer Banana Peppers
- Prepare the flour mixture. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, and ground black pepper.
- Prepare the banana peppers. Dip the banana peppers into the seasoned flour, and let them sit for 5 minutes to get a thick flour coating. Place the coated banana peppers in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Spray cooking oil (I like to use avocado oil) all over the banana peppers on both sides.
- Air fry the banana peppers for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool before serving. Transfer the banana peppers onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels to remove any extra oil, and let them cool for 5 minutes before serving. For serving, move the dish onto a platter or a large bowl and pair it with a small bowl of ranch dressing for dipping.
What do you use banana peppers in?
Banana peppers are very versatile and can be used in many different recipes. You can use them on sandwiches for a vinegary flavor and add them to tacos or hot dogs to add a mild spice.
Their tangy flavor pairs perfectly with the savory taste of mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese on a pizza. They’re also a great substitute for jalapeños if you want to add peppers to a recipe but don’t want it too spicy.
What do fried banana peppers taste like?
Air-fried banana peppers have a mild to moderate level of spice depending on how ripe the pepper is. When you fry your raw banana slices, their tangy flavor can concentrate, making them a bit sweeter with a smokier taste.
This air fryer recipe will keep your banana peppers nice and crunchy, and not at all soggy! If you want to turn the heat up a bit, you can add some cayenne pepper to your flour mix.
Can I make them ahead of time?
I don’t recommend making this banana pepper recipe ahead of time. They’re not as good when reheated and will lose all of their crispiness.
If you want to make enough for a large group, I recommend preparing your ingredients beforehand and then placing them in the air fryer when you’re ready to eat. This is because as they cool off, they will start to lose the slightly crunchy texture we’re looking for.
How do I store the leftover air-fried banana peppers?
I would try your best to only make enough peppers that you’re going to eat. If you do want to keep your leftovers, let them cool to room temperature and then store them in an airtight container.
To reheat, pop them in an air fryer at 350 F for just a few minutes, flipping halfway through. Keep an eye on them so they don’t accidentally burn.
More Air Fryer Recipes
WANT TO TRY THIS AIR FRYER BANANA PEPPERS RECIPE?
PIN IT to your easy air fryer recipes, air fryer appetizer recipes, or vegetarian recipes board to save it for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes. I’m always pinning!
Did you make this recipe? Post a photo on Instagram and tag me @JZEATS or #JZEATS so I can see! Leave a comment below and let me know what you think, too!
Air Fryer Banana Peppers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsps sea salt
- 1 lb fresh banana peppers or sweet peppers, sliced and seeds removed
- olive oil spray
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, ground black pepper.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350° F.
- Dip banana peppers into the seasoned flour, and let them to sit for 5 minutes to get a thick flour coating. Place the coated banana peppers in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Spray cooking oil all over the banana peppers on both sides.
- Air fry the banana peppers for 8 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Move the banana peppers onto a baking sheet lined with paper towels to remove any extra oil, let them cool for 5 minutes before serving. For serving, move the dish onto a platter or a bowl and pair it with a small bowl of ranch dressing for dipping.
Nutrition information is approximate and was calculated using a recipe nutrition label generator.